Pages

Mar 2, 2012

Magnetic Loop Antenna - Amazing!

Today I received my brand new MFJ-1786 Super Hi-Q Loop Antenna that I order from DX Engineering. As I've said before in this blog, I have always marveled at these antennas. Well, the day has come. How will it perform?

I really wanted to try my new loop out, so I found a spot in the backyard that I could just hang it up, about 4 feet off the ground on a garden arbor. I hooked up the coax and headed inside to the ham shack. There I carefully added the controller and fired up my Icom 7000.

I found it easy to use, and tune.  You can really tell from the background noise when you are close, and from there it's just tweaking while you apply a small amount of RF.

Well, I am happy to report that my very first contact was to 9A7R in Croatia, 4,400 miles away. Nice. I followed that by an even further contact - to ZS3R in South Africa! That's 8,000+ miles away! I was running 100 watts, SSB for both. Conditions were: SF:108, A=10,K=2 with an M-class flare in progress.

I am really happy with this antenna! This is a DX monster!



9A7R

ZS3R

Post a Comment