Pages

Oct 20, 2011

My First Try at WSPR

Tonight I got around to testing something I have wanted to do for a long time and that is to dabble with WSPR mode. WSPR (pronounced "whisper") stands for "Weak Signal Propagation Reporter". It's not a mode that can count as a true QSO. It more resembles a beacon network made up of digital QRP stations all around the globe.

I downloaded a program called WSPR and installed it.  Once I configured it to be able to talk to my Flex 3000 radio, I was cooking. I may make a video on how to get all of this going for others who'd like to try it.  It really is a fascinating tool.

Here is a screenshot I grabbed (click for a larger version) of some of the stations (indicated by the lines) that have heard my station VE3CNU, or that I heard, after only running the program for about 20 minutes.
 One of these lines goes all the way to India.  What is amazing to me is the fact that I have never been able to contact India - ever. WSPR did it in a matter of minutes.  I am sold!


Timestamp Call MHz SNR Drift Grid Pwr Reporter RGrid km az
2011-10-20 22:54 VE3CNU 14.097121 -24 0 FN03bi 10 VU2LID MJ88lm 13790 28
Post a Comment