Pages

Jul 7, 2011

My Own little DX-pedition

In a little over a week my wife and I are going to be vacationing in the Haliburton Highlands in Ontario Canada, where I plan to be operating a portable HF station for the first time. I'm staying at a cottage on a small lake (no motorboats allowed). The cottage is on 6 acres, so I'm thinking it's going to be the quiet retreat I'm hoping for.

I am still waiting for my Buddipole antenna to arrive in the mail, and will be taking both my Icom IC-7000 rig, and my Flex 3000 SDR radio.  SSB or digital modes only, I don't bother with CW. Both radios are very small to transport and operate on all the HF bands and more. I'm really looking forward to tinkering with the Buddipole in all sorts of configurations/bands. If you're not familiar with Buddipoles, I recommend checking out their site and YouTube. They seem to be great portable antennas.

Anyone interested in doing a sched should email me at rickblythe at gmail dot co. I'd love to try a sched, esp. with DX stations.

Station that work me can of course expect a QSL card as shown either via eQSL.cc or direct if you send me one. SWLs welcome!


This is the ham equipment I'm taking to Haliburton. A dual-band HT, an Icom IC-7000 HF rig,
and my Flex-3000 SDR HF rig. All in all, a pretty compact setup.
Who can guess the furthest distance I will be able to reach with this equipment??
From Cottage in Haliburton

This is not me, but here is a video of what a Buddipole looks like in one of many possible configurations:

Post a Comment