Pages

Mar 14, 2009

The Hustler 5BTV Antenna

5-BTV Today in preparation for my new HF rig arriving I took a trip to Toronto to buy an antenna and a few odds and sods. I settled on Hustler’s quarter-wave vertical, the 5BTV.

The Hustler 5-BTV is a five band trap vertical antenna adding 75/80 meter operation to the 4-BTV. It is self-supporting and I plan on ground mounting it.

I know this antenna will produce significantly improved long range results when it includes a good ground-level radial wire system, but I’m going to start with no radials and build those out over time. One reason for this is I was told the antenna comes tuned more or less for an installation with no radials. An even more important reason is that at this point in time I do not have an antenna analyzer to properly setup my 5BTV trap by trap in my backyard.

Here is the documented SWR across the ham bands-

5btv vertical antenna

So, the purchase has been made. I still have no HF rig yet, hopefully Monday. It’s still too cold out there to install it anyway. The ground is still well frozen here. That gives me time to plan the installation.

Here is a video of my 5BTV, just opened but still in the box so you can see all of the contents.

Post a Comment